The Stoney Creek Environment Committee is a registered non-profit society under BC Nature, dedicated to protecting, preserving and enhancing the natural habitat and wildlife of the Stoney Creek watershed.
The SCEC has been active since 1995, and for years was guided by the tireless efforts of Jennifer Atchison, whose energy and passion continue to inspire and drive the group’s activities today.
Our projects and partnerships bring together a community of volunteers to:
- preserve Stoney Creek as a showcase of urban salmon-bearing streams,
- maintain the water and habitat quality for both the fish and wildlife of the area,
- raise public awareness of natural urban corridors and to bring people and nature together,
- provide opportunities for environmental education in the outdoor classroom that is Stoney Creek,
- promote partnership between the various stakeholders who are active in the area.
You can also find the SCEC hosting and attending community events such as the Great Salmon Send-Off and BC Rivers Day.