The Great Salmon Send-Off 2018
This year’s event saw glorious sunshine for it’s 28th successive year. In addition to great weather, we had more exhibitors, enjoyable entertainment and good attendance. The main event – release of salmon fry into Stoney Creek – was particularly successful with the children in attendance. We also saw local politicians support us, including Deputy Mayor Dan Johnston, Larry Hayes from the Burnaby School Board, Katrina Chen MLA for Burnaby-Lougheed, Terry Beech MP for Burnaby North-Seymour and ex-MLA Richard Lee.
Many thanks to:
– our sponsors, without whom we would not be able to fund this event
– our exhibitors, who provide interesting exhibits to attract and occupy our attendees
– the Department of Fisheries and Oceans who provide the coho smolts for release
– the Sapperton Fish and Game Club for providing assistance with the fish release
– the City of Burnaby, for support in planning the event and helping to organize the day
– the Creekside Youth Group, for providing the catering
– the many high school students from Burnaby Mountain and Moscrop schools who volunteered around the site
– the children’s choir and others who provided entertainment for the day
– members of SCEC, who showed up on the day to help set up, host the SCEC booth and clean up afterwards
– and the planning committee, which meets monthly beginning in January and without whom this event just couldn’t take place
GSSO 2019 will take place on May 11, 2019
Organizations can participate and bring a display for GSSO 2019. We encourage exhibits with an environmental emphasis with demonstrations, games or activities that will create interactions for families and kids at the event. We provide tent space and tables and chairs for display participants as needed.
Please contact Pat Hargreaves (contact below) if you wish to participate. You will receive further information and a brief questionnaire to find out what you will require from us for your display.
We look forward to hearing from you and hope that you will be able to join us at Stoney Creek in May 2019.
GSSO Contact: Pat Hargreaves phargreaves60[@]gmail.com
GSSO 2017 was a milestone year, our 27th annual Great Salmon Send-Off on Saturday May 13!
As in previous years we invited organizations and community groups who support the environment to join us with displays to promote and demonstrate their initiatives. We also encouraged the participation of provincial and local government representatives and organizations to support this great day.
This event has a strong reputation in the community and always brings a great turnout of people, families, and organizations – as proven at last year’s event, with umbrellas out in force!