The Great Salmon Send-Off
Come and join us at this annual event which includes displays and activities provided by our volunteers, community groups and organizations, live entertainment and, of course, the main event: the opportunity to release young salmon into Stoney Creek.
The ‘GSSO’ takes place on the second Saturday in May from 10am to 2pm in the grounds of the Stoney Creek Community School and has a strong reputation in the community, bringing a great turnout of participants and attendees, rain or shine!
This event is made possible by contributions from:
– our sponsors, without whom we would not be able to fund this event
– our exhibitors, who provide interesting displays to attract and occupy our attendees
– the Department of Fisheries and Oceans who provide the coho smolts for release
– the Sapperton Fish and Game Club for providing assistance with the fish release
– the City of Burnaby, for support in planning the event and helping to organize the day
– the Creekside Youth Centre, for providing the catering
– the many high school students from Burnaby Mountain school who volunteer around the site
– the various groups of young people and others who provided entertainment for the day
– members of SCEC, who show up on the day to help set up, host the SCEC booth and clean up afterwards
– and the planning committee, consisting of SCEC members, City employees, and members of the community, which meets monthly beginning in January and without whom this event just couldn’t take place
Community groups and organizations who support the Stoney Creek Environment Committee and the environment are invited to provide a display for this event. We encourage demonstrations, games or activities that provide interactions for families and children. Tent space, tables and chairs can be provided as as required. Planning generally begins in January each year.